Saturday, February 10, 2024

ARMCHAIR PILGRIMS


Lent 2024 begins on February 14, This post is meant to serve as a cordial invitation to join a group of us ¨armchair pilgrims" who each Lent read the assigned chapter of my book "Pilgrim Road" each day. The book is a series of reflections, one for each day of Lent, each set in a different locale in Europe or South America, that offer thoughts appropriate to the Lenten Journey. 

The metaphor of life as a journey seems to be part of most cultures, even very ancient ones. The Hebrew and the Christian Scriptures refer to important journeys that change peoples' lives. So, the framework of a forty-day journey to Easter appeals naturally to many religious people. The stories in "Pilgrim Road" are accounts of my experiences during a sabbatical year when I traveled as a solo pilgrim through Europe and South America. But This book held a big surprise for me.

After "Pilgrim Road" was published, it began to morph into something I hadn't intended when I wrote it:
it has become a literary vehicle that creates a bond among its readers, uniting them into a pilgrimage group, like those in the Middle Ages that made perilous journeys to Compostela, Jerusalem and other pilgrimage sites. There are evidently a lot of people who, like me, get the book off the shelf every Ash Wednesday and journey with it to Easter Sunday. 

So when someone tells me "I'm reading your book each day," I always tell the person "You have a lot of company! 

You're part of a big pilgrimage group that's been growing over the years. Welcome!" There's something about being part of a group of like-minded souls, especially if they are from all over the place. In a pilgrimage group, people would help one another along the road in lots of different ways, but I imagine that one of the most important ways must have been by simply encouraging one another by their presence.

In the last few years, I've heard about book study groups and even simply friends who get together regularly to discuss what they've been getting from "journeying" with the book. Those who can share their experiences with others certainly have the advantage over the rest of us who are reading it alone, with nobody to talk with about what we're reading. The difficulty of our particular pilgrim company is, obviously, that most of us never see one another, we don't even know who else may be on the road with us, or how many we are. But I draw encouragement every day from the thought that there are all these people that I know, as well as many, many more who I'll never meet, who are traveling with me and praying for me as I do for them.

I should say that I consider this book a gift from the Lord for which I can take only a tiny bit of credit. Each time I read a chapter I find something new in it, and I thank God for using me to put it into print.

I'm curious to know how many of the readers of this blog are part of the pilgrim company. If you're reading "Pilgrim Road" would you mind encouraging the rest of us by simply leaving a quick comment (and maybe where you are from) in the "Comments" box. (I won't put you on a mailing list or sell your email address, pilgrim's promise). I just think it could be interesting and fun for us. Nothing wrong with having a little fun during Lent, right?

5 comments:

  1. I bought your book a couple of years ago in a second hand bookshop in the pilgrimage village of Walsingham, Norfolk, UK. I'll be journeying with you again this year. Thank you so much. Kathleen, North Walsham, Norfolk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fr. Albert,
    Enjoy reading your book each lent for the past 8 years. You give us much to contemplate and it helps greatly in my conversion of life. Thanks for the help!!
    Richard Luther
    Oblate of Saint Benedict

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have journeyed with Pilgrim Road during Lent since I discovered it over 15 years ago, or so. It has always provided something new to share in the lay community I belong to - and beyond. This year, I loaded someone my "old" copy and I got the revised edition. So I have discovered your blog address. It will add to my pilgrimage this year. Thank you.
    Catherine Carroll
    Crystal Lake, IL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kathleen, Richard and Catherine, Thank you for checking in as members of our pilgrim group. Let's pray for one another and for all our fellow pilgrims that we may all have a profitable Lent
    Fr. Albert

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Father Albert, for your books and gentle guidance. I found your Advent book (Holy Days Holidays) last fall and then looked for more. I am grateful for a daily note that widens my horizons as it also makes me look inward. Thank you for your kindness and generosity -- and sense of humor!
    (Nice drawings!)

    ReplyDelete