Saturday, September 26, 2020

SOME SEED FELL ON GOOD SOIL

One of the characteristics of a New Testament parable is that it teaches only one simple lesson. That makes sense -- you don't want to blunt the point of the simple story by loading it down with a ton of different meanings. But just recently I was reminded that this is first century palestinian speech, and therefore should contain ambiguities and mysterious non-linear meanings. I agreed with that idea right away. Here's an example of this second approach to parables, borrowed from Fr. James Martin ("Jesus: A Pilgrimage" 186)  

Take the parable of the sower who sows seed on various kinds of soil, so that the seeds yield various


amounts of grain, depending on the kind of soil on which they fall.Fr. Martin writes, "Can you see your whole self as a field and consider what parts are fertile, what parts are rock, and what parts are choked with weeds?"

I copied that sentence into my prayer journal, and followed it with the word "Yikes!"  The parable can help me to become more aware of which parts of my life are which. I could see right away certain parts of my life that are choked with weeds or are barren and rocky, as well as ones that seem to be very fertile, yielding sixty-fold. 


For example, my relationship with a certain brother in the monastery isn't what it should be, and looks like a thorny patch where the Word is having a hard time growing. Another part of my life seems overgrown with worries -- which the parable says can choke the life out of the Word planted there. This approach to the parable can provide an interesting variation on the traditional "examination of conscience."

Like any parable, however, this one is meant to move me to action. I uncover some truth about myself that is not from the Lord, and I have the courage to name it and claim it as my own. But so far this is only an insight, The big question is "So what?" What will I do with this insight? Will I simply look at the image of myself in the mirror and then walk away unchanged? Or will I see it as an invitation to a change of heart ("repentance" or metanoia)? 

Something else that occurs to me is this question: "What effect do the various part of my life have on the other parts?" Do the negative ones compete with the beautiful, life-giving parts? Can some neglected areas of my life distract from, detract from and otherwise spoil the good work that God has begun in me? I pray that the influence will run the other direction, and that the good and fruitful parts of myself will eventually take over the rocky ground and the thorns and the weeds.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment