Saturday, February 23, 2019

WHAT GOES AROUND ...

+
The first reading and the gospel passage assigned for mass on Sunday, Feb. 24, 2019, have to do with forgiveness. In the first line of the gospel Jesus says "love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you" (Lk 6:27).


It seems to me that this teaching may be among the most neglected parts of the bible these days. Few people even question the wisdom of a favorite national pastime called "payback." I'd  like to offer a simple story that I've posted once before to illustrate how Jesus' gospel of forgiveness can work in our lives. The following is a chapter from my recently-published book,  "Faces of Easter:Meeting the Paschal Mystery in the People Around Us."


During the American Revolutionary War this guy named Michael Wittman is captured and at his trial is proven to be a turncoat who has often given the British invaluable assistance. He is found guilty of spying and sentenced to death by hanging. On the evening before the execution, an old man with white hair asks to see General Washington, giving his name as Peter Miller. Since this Miller has done a lot of favors for the revolutionary army, he is ushered in right away. This time, however, Miller is about to turn the tables by asking for a favor from Washington. After the general greets him cordially, Miller gets directly to the point, and shocks the general out of his chair by asking him to pardon Michael Wittman, the notorious turncoat. Washington is baffled and surprised by Miller’s plea, and explains that to grant his request would be impossible. Wittman had done everything he could to betray his fellow colonists, even offering to join the British to help destroy Washington and his army. Shaking his head, the general apologizes, “In these times we cannot be lenient with traitors; and for that reason, I cannot pardon your friend.” “Friend!” cries Peter Miller, “He’s no friend of mine. He is my bitterest enemy. He has persecuted me for years. He has even beaten me and spit in my face, knowing full well that I would not strike back. Michael Wittman is no friend of mine!”
Washington is puzzled. “And you still wish me to pardon him?”
“I do. I ask it of you as a personal favor.”
“Why?”
“I ask it because Jesus did as much for me.”
Washington turns away and walks into the next room. Soon he returns with a paper on which is written the pardon of Michael Wittman. “My dear friend,” he says, placing the paper in the old man’s hand, “I thank you for this.”  


To be honest, I don’t know if I would have Peter Miller’s strength of character if I were in his shoes. But I do know that I have had a couple of Michael Wittmans in my life whom I needed to forgive, and I surely have been pardoned by people whom I’ve hurt. I’ve even been General Washington's place, too, being edified by some else’s example of forgiveness. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your wonderful book. Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and coming upon your post was just the right time for this book. I just bought it for my e-reader and look forward to reading. The story of President Washington and the death pardon really touched me. The forgiveness of Peter Miller was powerful.

    ReplyDelete