Saturday, April 30, 2022

THE PRAYER OF STRETCHING

In a couple of hours, our Br. Mark Dilone, O.S.B., will be ordained a priest. The ceremony includes lots of fervent prayer for the one being ordained. 

The candidate prostrates himself on the floor of the sanctuary while the community chants the Litany of the Saints. I've always found this a very intense moment of prayer. A second special moment comes as the bishop[p anoints the hands of the candidate with Sacred Chrism while everyone sings the Veni Creator Spiritus, invoking the special gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Early this morning, as I was reflecting on the intense prayer moments in the upcoming ceremony, I began thinking about the many people who've been commended to my prayer recently for one reason or another, usually people who are experiencing some sort of trouble or sorrow or pain. I asked myself just how intense my prayer is when I prayer to the Lord for a particular intention. 

The following is something I wrote on the topic a few years ago, but which comes to my mind fairly often, as it did again this morning.  And so I share it with you, hoping that you may find it helpful.

Let's start with this passage from Acts:

About that time King Herod laid hands upon some members of the church to harm them. He had James, the brother of John, killed by the sword, and when he saw that this was pleasing to the Jews he proceeded to arrest Peter also. (It was [the] feast of Unleavened Bread.) He had him taken into custody and put in prison under the guard of four squads of four soldiers each. He intended to bring him before the people after Passover. Peter thus was being kept in prison, but prayer was fervently being made by the church to God on his behalf. (Acts 12:5). 

The Greek says "The church was praying ektenos for him." 

 "Fervently" is a good translation for this adverb to describe how the Christians prayed; but there's an interesting story behind the Greek word, ektenos. It comes from the verb ekteino, "to stretch, to stretch out." This common verb is used by Jesus when he tells the man with the withered hand "Stretch out your hand" (Mt.12:13). Luke tells us that Jesus stretched out his hand to touch and heal a leper (Lk 5:13). 

Luke uses the adverb form of ekteino (to stretch out) to describe the way the community was praying. Try to imagine those earliest Christians gathering together after hearing the  that Peter was in prison and about to be executed by Herod. Imagine them praying: stretching out not just their hands but their hearts and their very souls to the Lord. 

They were praying with fervor, intensity, and longing. They were not “saying prayers” for Peter, there was nothing half-hearted or distracted about their praying. Maybe they were even shedding tears. This sounds like the kind of praying that Benedict would recommend to his monks 450 years later.


Luke uses this same adverb in his account of the Agony in the garden: “After withdrawing about a stone’s throw from them and kneeling, he prayed, saying, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup away from me; still, not my will but yours be done.” And to strengthen him an angel from heaven appeared to him. He was in such agony and he prayed so fervently that his sweat became like drops of blood falling on the ground.(22:41 ff)

We see earnestness, even agony in Jesus’ prayer. Are we ever called upon to agonize in prayer? How can you not agonize in prayer, say, over a son or daughter who is in deep trouble?  

Wasn’t Moses agonizing in prayer when he cried out to God “Ah, this people has committed a grave sin in making a god of gold for themselves! Now if you would only forgive their sin! But if you will not, then blot me out of the book that you have written” (Ex. 32:31-32)?

Wasn’t Paul agonizing in prayer when he said “For I could wish that I myself were accursed and separated from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kin according to the flesh” (Rom. 9:3)? 

Recently, I've been asking myself how often I pray "stretched out" the way Jesus prayed in the garden of Gethsemane. How often is my prayer filled with earnest longing and yearning (Psalm 84) or of Moses, or Paul? How often do I leave myself totally vulnerable to the Lord in passionate prayer? Not just prayer of petition, but also adoration, thanksgiving or contrition.

So, lately I've been trying to do a lot more “stretching” when I pray. And I must say, it seems to be working.  

So, as we gather to pray for Br. Mark this morning, I'll be sure to be "stretching out" during those high points of prayer for him. Perhaps you'd like to join me 9n -praying for our new young priest!

Come. Holy Spirit! 



No comments:

Post a Comment