Saturday, April 29, 2023

RUNNING TOWARD GOLIATH

A couple of days ago I was reading the story of David and the Philistine giant Goliath. The famous tale tells of how the two mismatched warriors
 stood opposite one another at a distance and traded threats and insults in a kind of preliminary ritual. Then, when the ritual shouting was over, the writer tells us "David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet the Philistine." (1 Sam. 17:48)

When I read this verse I was reminded that I'm not very good at "running toward the battle line" in a potential conflict situation. I'm one of those folks who tries to avoid conflict whenever possible. Life, however, presents me with plenty of situations in which I have to face a problem or a person that I would really prefer to avoid.


During the Easter season the readings at mass present us every day with tales of various apostles defying the authorities in order to preach the Gospel, of their being thrown in jail and scourged and persecuted. Yet in the face of all this they continue to spread the Good News. Running toward the fight, just like David. 



Today is the feast of Saint Catherine of Siena, a religious, mystic and (of all things)an activist. At the time, the pope was residing in the imposing "Palace of the Popes" in Avignon, not in Rome. Catherine, in the midst of her profound mystical experiences, felt called to go to Avignon and try to convince the pope to return to Rome. (Her appeal fell on deaf ears at the time.) She got involved in various disputes within the Church as well as in political disagreements. She never seemed to be cowed by men of power and authority whom she thought needed to be confronted.

In reflecting on Catherine's approach to life, I saw right away the source of her remarkable courage: Her intense, intimate inner life with God. She never acted on her own initiative, but in response to what she saw as God's will for her. She was confident that the Lord was supporting her all the time. 

David, too, was confident that God would support him in his fight against Goliath, because Goliath had dared to insult the armies of the God of Israel. So it wasn't really David's fight, it was the Lord's. 

And what about those fearless preachers in the early Church? They had the same source of courage: The Holy Spirit had captivated their hearts and minds, so their egos were not involved in their work: This was entirely the work of the Lord; so they could hand over everything to God including especially, their worries.

There's a good lesson for me in these figures, David, the apostles and St. Catherine of Siena. When I find myself lacking the courage to face a difficult situation, I can imitate their example and call on the Lord and turn the conflict over to Him. Why should I have to face this problem on my own when the Lord keeps offering to take my cares upon Himself? Why am I so slow and so stubborn?

A famous quote from St. Catherine is:
"Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire."

I think I'll pray to St. Catherine for some help in learning to let go of who I want to be so I can be who God meant me to be!  



1 comment:

  1. Fr. Albert your comments and lesson are >>>Always clear and to the point ,I enjoy your subject and your written addition to the subject !

    ReplyDelete