Saturday, November 7, 2020

THE GOSPEL FOR THESE DAYS

Beginning this Sunday, November 8, 2020, the mass readings turn our attention to the "last things," and speak of final judgement, the end of the world and such sobering things. This theme fits well into our country's current events: the presidential election, the impact of the covid-19 pandemic, the unrest around matters of racial justice just to name the big ones. Reflecting on the end times and on our own deaths can help us to critique our outlook on the world. 

 'ASK YOURSELF..." Political candidates say "Ask yourself, am I better off than I was four year ago?" (I presume that the word
"economically" is understood in there.) The gospels ask a completely different set of questions:'"Am I more patient than I was four years ago?" "Am I more loving and accepting of others than I was four years ago?" "Am I more charitable than I was four years ago?" There's nothing in the Gospel that asks "Are you economically better off than you were four years ago?" 

SELF-INTEREST: ENLIGHTENED OR NOT? It seems to me that in recent years we've been offered and have settled for a very self-centered way of relating to everyone and everything around us. A car ad urged me to "Get the luxury you deserve." I was baffled the first time I heard that -- I had no idea that I deserved luxury! There's a philosophy in ethics called "enlightened self-interest" that states that people who act to further the interests of others (or the interests of the group or groups to which they belong), ultimately serve their own self-interest. It's an interesting phrase, and has worked well in lots of contexts. But I'm noticing that more and more people are practicing the "self-interest" part but dropping the "enlightened" bit. The more centered we become on our own wants, the less able we are to see or care about the needs of others. Where I live, this kind of a blind spot can have real consequences. I was reminded of this earlier this week when I received the following email that had been broadcast to our entire staff:
As you know, many families in our community are struggling even more than usual due to COVID job losses and illnesses. Sr. Linda is working to help us help the families of our students who are in this situation. If you would like to contribute towards food for these families for Thanksgiving and Christmas, the best way to help is via Shop Rite gift cards. This allows Sr. Linda to get food that is needed to round out what is donated, and they can also be given directly to families. Any amount helps! I will be collecting gift cards from now until Thanksgiving. If you’d like to contribute, please drop your card(s) off at my office for safekeeping. 
 The light of Christ and the message of the Gospel tell me that feeding the hungry is in my "enlightened self interest." I'm made in the image of God, who is Love itself. Jesus calls me to imitate his self-sacrificing love. On Nov. 22 the gospel passage will feature Jesus welcoming his followers with the words "For I was hungry and you gave me to eat." There's the gospel shining a light on my life. 

FEAR NOT: THE LORD IS KING
Or, here's more food for thought. Much of our politics today is based on fear. You can make the list better than I. People are trying to manipulate us by preying upon our fears (often ones that they've created!). The gospel passages over the next few weeks, culminating with the Feast of Christ the King on Nov. 22, assure us that God is in charge and the Christ our brother is King of the Universe. The glaring light of that belief scatters the darkness of fear -- if we truly believe in almighty power of God and of his son. 

 So, we would all do well to pay close attention to the gospels that the Church offers us over the next few weeks during this time of confusion, unrest, pandemic, divisiveness and so on, and count on Christ and his Gospel to guide us through the darkness.

1 comment:

  1. Thank for reminding us to imitate our Father's love as a sure way to endure the present darkness.

    ReplyDelete