Saturday, April 14, 2018

SURPRISE PILGRIMAGE

+

Tomorrow, Sunday, I leave for Rome! I've been asked to accompany a group of students from various Benedictine schools from around the U.S. to attend the 125th anniversary celebration of the Benedictine Institute in Rome. The visit will last a week, and will include a papal audience as well as trips to Monte Cassino and Subiaco (the site of young Benedict's first experiences in following his monastic call).


When I left Rome 24 years ago I didn't imagine that I'd ever have the opportunity of visiting the Eternal City again, and now I find myself acceding to Abbot Melvin's request to return for another visit.

I'm grateful to the Lord for this unexpected opportunity, and hope that I'll be able to profit from it in whatever ways the Lord intends. 

If you're interested, here are the high points of the week as planned.


Monday, April 16 – arrival in Rome. Morning activity at Circus Maximus; afternoon activity to S. Benedetto in Piscinula, S. Crisogono, S. Cecilia and S. Maria in Trastevere


Monte Cassino
Tuesday, April 17 – morning tour of ancient Rome: Coliseum, Roman Forum and Palatine hill

Wednesday, April 18 – pilgrimage to Montecassino

Thursday, April 19 – morning Mass at St. Peter’s Basilica, crypt; noon Papal Audience

Friday, April 20 – pilgrimage to Subiaco


Saturday, April 21- 125th celebration of S. Anselmo foundation


Sunday, April 22 – Mass at S. Anselmo and day free for sightseeing and shopping


Monday, April 23 – final departures from FCO

I'll have lots to tell you in my next post, when I return!

No comments:

Post a Comment